
Isn't it amazing that I can sit on a beach the other side of the world and write to you on my phone,live as it happens with a video feed and that you can read it immediately provided..... you GET OUT OF BED. ...and this typifies technology's current challenge. The limitations of the users.
After losing my laptop, I am struggle with upskillling myself to continue this blog on my phone. Android spell checkers, blog editing programs, photo resizing, 3G versus WIFI, small key board, and small screen. With my fat fingers, failing eye sight and diminishing grey matter I cannot help but reflect on where this has come from and where it is going.
There were paper files everywhere.
Within a span of less than 40 yrs the technology world has merged phones, slide rules,computers, encyclopedia britannica, record and movie players, filing cabinets, pin ball machines, scrabble and even the bible into this small apparatus in my hand that is not much bigger than a credit card. In Africa they are using the phone as a credit card "bluetoothing" to the till at the checkout and with this device I can manage my bank accounts, purchase goods all round the world including bidding for my Ultimate Overland Vehicle on trademe.
(well Carol's anyway. We hear about Emily every 5min)
Where I see the old folk sitting in the square chatting about politics, family and the village life I see Carol on 3g doing the same with the opposite side of the world. Instead of the 18th century businessman using a feathered quill to pen a letter there is Bruce powering through his emails every morning.
......and in 50 yrs time.... Perhaps it will be a direct link into that great grey mass like an extra drive on the computer. Not only will it make the key board and screen obsolete but you'll be able to download the human app to understand it.
Don't you envy the future generation..... although I'm sure many will get it wrong and hit reformat.
......now that's got possibilities.


No comments:
Post a Comment