Croatia is
a top destination amongst younger Europeans and for the wealthy the island of Hvar is the place to be. This is the place to perfect your tans, strut your
stuff and to mix with the rich and famous in this swankiest French Riviera
–style town .The boats are big and flash, the chicks hot, the boys cool and
the price of everything doubled.
| 4th July |
We are staying in a bay called Mala Milna some 4kms south of
the town of Hvar,
which also is cool but in a somewhat more honest way.
It is a family camp with a spectacular views, clear water
and people just enjoying the environment around them. There are the 2 little
girls painting rocks and selling them on the foot path beside their tent, the
skinny blonde 7 yr old boy with his fishing net walking for hours through the
rock pools stalking the fearsome creatures hiding in the shadows.
The grandfather is on the concrete jetty teaching his
granddaughter to dive, and the rotund grandmother sunning herself in a skimpy
bikini without a care in the world;
Dad’s out fishing in his kayak and mums has just settled
into a good book in the shade of the tree.
It is a safe camp and people seem to trust their fellows to
a degree greater than what I would perceive as sensible. Gear is left lying
everywhere as people head off to the shops, the beach or for a walk. Cars are
left unlocked with the windows down and often the reception office is left open
unattended.
In the last week I have had three experiences which have
astounded me in the Croatian’s trust in his fellow. In a camp ground just
outside of Dubrovnik
I sat down at a table to get Wifi and there was a trendy mobile phone sitting there
with no sign of the owner. I picked it up and took it to the reception. The camp
manager just laughs. “That’s my brother’s” he says “leave it there, he’ll be
back, no one steals thing in Croatia”.
So I do as I’m instructed and about an hour later this
bloke turns up to get his phone and with a cheeky grin asks me in halting
English “did any girls ring for me while I was away, did you say yes”
Later that night the local village was having a Patron’s
festival with the village talent, playing, singing and dancing; followed by a
feed. The whole event was free and it seemed that the community was out and we
as tourists were very much the minority. While I was watching the show I was
tapped on the shoulder and this person points to a wallet, keys, cigarettes and
a mobile phone sitting on a ledge. “Not mine” I explain. The bloke then just
laughs and says “no worries he’ll be back soon, Croatians cannot go far without
their cigarettes”
Last night Bronni and myself went out to dinner; a
traditional fish meal at this little restaurant totally unassociated with the
camping ground. It was nice. When I came to pay they didn’t take credit cards
and I didn’t have enough cash so I explained that I’ll go back to the camp and
get the money but the proprietor said that it’s okay to pay tomorrow, “you
should not rush after such a nice meal”. When I offered my name or something
for security she simply said “I’ll see you tomorrow, go and have a good sleep”
It blew me away. Restaurants’ throughout the world have
problems with people scarpering without paying and I’m certain that this
restaurant would have had its share and yet they still trust their fellow
being.
Amazing!
Trust and honesty are two conjoint attributes that don’t get
the recognition they deserve in our modern world. It is the 2 pot glue that
bonds people in the home, on the sports field, in the work place and in battle
into a strong united force. Without
trust and honesty you do not have a relationship, at best it is an association
of individuals with similar agenda’s.
From my observations it seems that these attributes only get
recognition in today’s world if it is affects our personal brand. We use
breaches to justify our dismissive attitude to the importance of these
qualities. How sad it is that we cannot
see the bigger picture that trust and honesty can bring to our community, work
place or home and that we would need a war to teach us these lessons.
| Checking Out |
No comments:
Post a Comment