Well this is the first update of the Blog since we have left
NZ. Communication is a major issue when you spend the majority of your time in
the parks and reserves where there is no email, cell reception and I didn’t
bring Nathan,s sat phone.
So the plan is that I write the blog in Word in the bush then
copy to the blog at the next available opportunity.
Problem 2 battery power.
Issac’s laptop is a great machine except I should have
probably got a better battery. Fortunately I did bring a 12v-240 converter (Thanks
again Isaac) which does allow me to power the battery off the car.
Problem 3. Elephants, Lions, Rhino. We are currently in the Nxai
Pan Reserve and these beasts are just wandering around.
Fig 2 Elephant Stop- shame that the Lions can still walk through although this is more about protecting the toilet
block rather than people
Buts lets wind back a little.
We arrived in Joburg @4:55am on the 26th April
and after fluffing around the airport getting R$ we connect up with our hotel
and given an early checkin. After a quick sleep we head off to the apartheid
museum to get a background of the complexity of discrimination by color and the
problems of where the mixed, Chinese, Greeks and poor white might even fit.
It seems to me that discrimination became more of a
selection process based on social “standing”.
Nelson Mandela is looked upon as the African Moses and you
have to give credit in his vision that recognized the rainbow blend of the
nation to find a sustainable solve that fits all. Clearly the whites would not
be happy with the change because they were in a privileged position and while
it may have worked in the past it was not going to work in the 22nd
Century.
Fig 3 Pillars of the
Constitution
Following day we met up with Neil & Libby, picked up the
vehicles and kept on getting losts. Problem. The GPS called NSS (No …….
Shirley) is good if she knows where to go. Unfortunately names changes are
common.
Solution
Use coordinates not names…. The next problem was to find a
map with coordinates.
After a night at the Krugersdorp Game Reserve we moved west
to the Kham Rhino Reserve and then into the Kalahari Game reserve.
This big critter chasing is not like the zoo. It requires patience, luck and skill.. I know
patience is not my long suit but I’m just beginning to realize that there is a
whole spectrum of patience in the animal kingdom that humans have little
knowledge. With a little more internalizing I’ve come to realize that I’m the
worst of the worst.
Fig 4 Neil &
Libby. “Don’t look back”
However we have a lot of luck and Neil has good eyes.
A Leopard sprinted through the camp at the Rhino Reserve
first thing in the morning.
Seen several Rhino really close up.
Fig 5 Thompson &
Thompson
Saw 2 lions right on the roadside under a tree, and a fresh
kill with 3 cheaters. The cheaters were a tad shy. Our presence chased them
back under a tree 50m away. We waited(fried) 2 hrs hoping that they would get
used to us but sadly their patience was greater.
Fig 6 2 Male Lions on
the roadside.
Figure 7- What are you looking at?
Figure 8- Birds nest
Figure 9- "Beauty is relative"
Figure 10- I'll second that
Fig 11-
Fig 12- “You don’t
need to shout”
Haha! this was funny! dad you may have found yourself an occupation, comedian, or blogger. Either either. Does mum know you put that picture of her in the shower up? hah
ReplyDeleteAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aww love you guys, i have been having wee giggles at work :) Africa looks unreal, such a different world to a 9am-5pm in an office chair :) I can't actually believe you guys are seeing those sorts of animals in the flesh! (dad I agree with kate re the photo) Big Hug!
ReplyDeleteaww man your amazing dad. I am at home (studying) and thought I must read your blog again. And I laughed (again) at my favourite line of yours... "After a little more internalising... I realised I am the worst of the worst". Golden line leslie, I read that one out loud to anyone who would listen... Juju, although doubt is cast on whether he was listening or not but he did laugh in the appropriate place so im guessing he was. xx
ReplyDeletehaha you guys are ALL awesome! I'm glad we are part of (even if on the fringe!) of your lives!!!!!!!! xxxx
ReplyDelete