Monday, 25 June 2012

How good does it get!


Its 6.00am on 25th June and I’m on an isolated shore listening to the cicadas in the trees accompanying the sound of water gently lapping the sand. In the distance I can hear the thumping of single cylinder diesel taking a fisherman slowly out to sea.


I’ve already had my swim out to the buoys in a pristine turquoise millpond of 28oC and now I sit here watching the sun begin another day of its journey across the horizon. Yep its gonna be another scorcher if you have to work in the sun.

But I’m not working in the sun. In fact I’m not working at all. There are no deadlines, COB (close of business) requests or back to back meetings ….and it still feels kinda weird but nice.

For the next 3 days we have decided to stay put. When you find a paradise why not enjoy it. Bronni is having a sleep in while I munch on my melon, muesli and yoghurt; tapping out this moment on my blog. .

For the geographical buffs we are at Neos Marmaras some 150 kms south east of Thessaloniki.
Bronni found this camp site from a book titled Cool Camping (thanks again Claire) and while it is not cheap €30/night the location is very unique for Europe on several accounts.
We are camped 10m from the water;
The beach is deserted;
There are no permanent lounges and umbrella taking all the shoreline that costs €18/day;
I can park my car beside the tent;

Too often we forget how good we have it back in New Zealand and sitting here I’m strongly reminded of Hot Water Beach Lake Tarawera. Sure the thumping diesel is not the same as a 350 chevy motor but the ladies would like the flush toilet and even Rosalie would go swimming in water this temperature.

It funny how situations create reflective moments of our family and friends. We cannot stop at a roadside fruit store without thinking of Heidi. 
Delfoi with its Greek mythology  and arts reminds us of Kate in her last year of high School and every Subaru we see (not very common) we think of Isaac particularly if it’s being towed (almost as common as seen). 


















We hear a new born baby squawking and we are reminded of Jayden & Amy and the impatient pending Grandmothers…poor child.
At every fuel stop I think of Stephen and Neil, feeling guilty that I have not studied the prices enough. I spy some Kiwifruit (In Greece) and wondered how the team at Satara is managing the fruit loss and do they still have the focus?

 The young couple snogging in the bush prompts our memory of another young lovely (who cannot be named) in NZ with a new romance and the Olympic Games should give a Gold medal to Sam & Claire for perseverance.

The oversized 5th wheeler reminds me to back Arthurs pass over Johnny P and the flat seas say this is not for D and our other surfing bunnies..

 .    


 ………and the memories run on. The carved Olive wood, the pottery, a wacky dress, the little elderly couple sitting on the bus on their way to the beach, the university students, the fine china tea pot, a butterfly sitting on a rock and a small lone church lost in a jungle of high rise buildings.   

No I am not homesick but the reflective moment does give me an opportunity to truly appreciate how rich we are in Aoeteroa.  





Bronni’s up. Time to put the coffee pot on.
Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Aw this is a sweet wee post! Jealous of you two having the time of your lives. (Bronni, you look super hot and styley in all the photos, keep it up ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog. Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline (Fiddymont, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete