I am not a historian and neither am I a particularly
reflective person (to my demise says dear Bronni) but as we travel through
Bulgaria, Serbia and Croatia I cannot ignore the fact that a lot of this
country has been under a communist regime for more than 50 years in the not to distant past and that Serbia,
Croatia and Bosnia were fighting each other based on ethnicity less than 20 years
ago.
Cruising along the autostrad at 130km/hr we drive through a Croatia today of
a thriving country with large fields of wheat, sunflower, hay for the cattle
and vegetables. Infrastructure works are
happening, buildings are being erected and the people as busy going to work, to
school, to play.
But if you stop for a moment and reflect on the life of a
Croatian or Serbian living side by side in the same street, with the scars of
the past you must wonder at the stability of the community.
Consider the Croatian town Vukovar. In 1991 the population
was 44,000 with 44% Croatians and 37% Serbians. As Croatia
edged away from Yugoslavia
tensions mounted and in August the Yugoslavia-Serbian forces launched a full
scale artillery and infantry assault in attempt to seize the town. Half of the
population fled and the remaining, pitifully out numbered held the invaders off
until November when they surrendered. The Serbians entered the town on the 20th
November and removed 400 patients from the local hospital, the staff and their
families. 200 were massacred. It is estimated that 2000 people were killed from
this town , 4000 wounded, several thousand who disappeared presumably into a
mass grave and 22,000 who were forced into exile. .
Vukovar is but one example and the atrocities were not all
one sided.
Consider the personal and property loss, the grief and the
anger. The issues around ownership of
land, what happens when a Serbian comes back to claim his house.
While the only visible thing remaining is a monument and some
bullet holes in the wall, I wonder if the scars would have healed and how I would
feel if the cause of my loss and grief 20 yrs ago is living across the street?
In 2007 at the War Tribunal two Yugoslav army officers were
sentenced to 20 yrs and 5 yrs in prison for their role in the Vukovar massacre.
Would this make me feel any better? Would this bring back my
son, my daughter, wife friend or business?
You decide
Bulgaria
Hasn’t really recovered from the Communist Error. (ah I
think I mean era)
The countryside is deserted of people, the farms are poorly
managed, the equipment comes from WWII and the architect (if he/she existed) could only think of blocks
and the color off white. Actually I
really think these building were designed by engineers. …. Functionality to the
max. low cost.
Perhaps this is the Christchurch
solution. Could make my son in law JuJu’s life easier.
Great place for monasteries and wines if this is your thing.
Driving in Sofiya almost matched Nairobi but had the added mix of trams with
their own rules.
Serbia
Serbia
was a surprise particular given the current economic conditions of Europe. The infrastructure spend seems disproportionate
to its population. There were a lot of Merc’s, Porsche’s, BMW’s and
Audi’s.
Not sure where the money was coming from. Foreign aid??
The farms looked to be small but well managed but I don’t
think it was the farmers driving these vehicles. They seemed to use their
tractor for everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment